Sep 23, 2021  
2015 - 2017 UTPB Undergraduate Catalog 
2015 - 2017 UTPB Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

Application Process

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin encourages students who wish to attend the university and who do not have the financial resources available to pay the cost of higher education to seek assistance through The Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid operates to assist students seeking a degree or certification from U. T. Permian Basin in obtaining the necessary resources from federal, state, and private sources.

To obtain financial assistance, the University encourages all financial aid applicants, both graduate and undergraduate, to complete a yearly financial aid application process. This process consists of two applications: the General Scholarship Application and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The U. T. Permian Basin application is required for aid programs administered through the University regardless of eligibility criteria. The FAFSA is required for all need-based aid programs, including Federal Title IV Grants and Loans, Federal Work-Study, and State grants, Loans and Work-Study. Some local scholarship funds also rely on data provided through the FAFSA. The Office of Financial Aid strongly encourages all students to complete both the Federal and the U. T. Permian Basin General Scholarship Application form to be considered for all possible aid.

Because availability of funds in most programs is limited, applications should be completed by the fall term of each award year, however, eligibility based on criteria for donor scholarships will take precedence over the application date. Applications are not considered complete until all required forms are properly filled out and are in the Office of Student Financial Aid. In some cases, students may be required to submit supporting documentation to verify aid eligibility. When students are selected for verification, their applications will not be considered complete until the required supporting documentation is in the Office of Student Financial Aid and all data is correct.

Students subject to selective service registration will be required to file a statement that the student has registered or is exempt from selective service registration in order to be eligible to apply for federal or state funded financial aid. Please Note: Application for financial assistance is not an application for admission. Also, awarding of financial aid does not guarantee acceptance to the University.

Awarding Process

The Office of Student Financial Aid notifies students of what aid is being made available and how it will be disbursed by means of an award letter.

The award letter will list one or more programs of assistance in which funds are available to the student. Availability and acceptance of awarded aid does not guarantee the actual release of money or eligibility for funds, disbursement of funds depends on grade level, credit hours enrolled, cost of attendance, or the condition of institutional funds. The student must complete any additional program requirements (i.e., a student loan acceptance), and meet enrollment and academic progress guidelines before any refunds can be released.

The award(s) listed on the award letter are referred to as an award “package.” The number of awards in the package and the amount of each award are determined by the availability of funds at the time the student completes the application for aid and, for need-based aid, the results of the federal need analysis of the FAFSA application. Any student receiving non-need-based aid should notify the Office of Student Financial Aid as soon as possible so that the award can be included in the student’s package. Failure to notify the office of all sources of assistance could result in an over award and require the repayment of money already received. Repayment demands can create a severe financial hardship so it is advisable that the student report accurately all sources of assistance.

The University participates in a number of assistance programs to provide an optimum availability of help for students. These programs can be divided into four basic types of financial aid: grants, scholarships, loans, and employment. Grants and scholarships are gift awards that do not have to be repaid. Loans are monies that have to be repaid with interest, usually after completion of the program. Employment is part-time work, usually on campus, that is scheduled around the student’s class schedule. Earnings from employment do not have to be repaid.

Listed below are brief descriptions of some of the programs in which the University participates. Funding of the different programs varies from year to year as do eligibility criteria and even the name of programs. Federal and state programs are subject to frequent regulatory changes which supersede the information in this catalog. For further information about these programs and other available assistance, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.


Scholarships are gift aid that do not have to be repaid. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin encourages students to apply for scholarship assistance through all sources available to achieve the best results. Assistance from U. T. Permian Basin may be in the form of an institutional award such as the Presidential Plus, Presidential, Transfer Merit, Freshman Merit, Freshman Grant, and Freshman Achievement or through scholarship funds that have been endowed with the University by individuals desiring to help worthy students. Awards for freshman students are made based on high school class rank and additional nominations demonstrating academic excellence, civic pride and leadership qualities during their school years. Transfer student eligibility is determined based on academic performance at the previous college or university attended. Continuing students are eligible to apply for scholarships based on academic excellence achieved while attending the University. Scholarships awarded from the U.T. Permian Basin cannot be awarded with other university awarded scholarships. If a students is awarded multiple scholarships from UTPB, the award with the highest dollar amount will be automatically awarded. A student can choose awards by notifying the Office of Financial Aid of the decision.

Information about a variety of scholarships awarded on the basis of academic merit and achievement is available from the Office of Financial Aid or the Office of Admissions. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin at also offers a number of endowed scholarships that are administered by a school or program.

Donor Scholarships are provided through the generosity of persons who have chosen to aid students through the establishment of an endowed scholarship or annual scholarship. Eligibility for scholarship awards are based on criteria outlined by the donor at the time the gift was made. The basic criterion for scholarship eligibility is academic success, although some scholarships also consider financial need or other qualities. All scholarships recipients must have a general scholarship application on file and must complete a “Thank You” note with the Office of Development. Most donor scholarships require candidates to be attending the University full-time, with a priority given to undergraduate students who live on-campus The committee or officer responsible for selection of a given scholarship or grant may consider: Financial need, GPA, academic merit and could include whether the applicant is the first generation in his or her family to attend or graduate from college; the applicant’s responsibilities while attending school; the applicant’s involvement in community activities; the applicant’s extracurricular activities; and the applicant’s professional or work experience since leaving high school. Completing the General Scholarship Application does not guarantee receipt of a donor scholarship, the final determination will be based on established donor criteria, as well as donation amounts.

Top 10% Scholarship

Typically, if funding is available, qualifying students who submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) by a specific deadline (set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board each year), have financial need, and enroll fulltime in a Texas public college or university in the fall semester may be eligible to receive up to $600. To be eligible students must be Texas residents, register for Selective Service, complete a FAFSA and demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA, complete a recommended or distinguished achievement high school curriculum, rank in the top 10% as of the semester of admittance, graduate from an accredited high school in Texas, and enroll fulltime.


Grants are publicly funded programs that provide gift aid which does not have to be repaid. Grants are usually awarded on the basis of information received by U. T. Permian Basin when the student completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Federal Pell Grant Program is the largest of the gift aid programs under the Federal Title IV codes. It provides the foundation for all need-based assistance. Financial need is the single criterion used to determine the amount of the award, but students must also meet certain other stipulations to receive a Pell Grant. Pell grants are available only to undergraduates working on their first baccalaureate degree. To determine eligibility for the Pell grant, the student must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have the information sent to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (FSEOG) is designated to assist students with exceptional financial need. First preference for these awards is mandated by Federal regulation to go to Pell grant recipients. The FSEOG is available only to undergraduates.

Texas Public Educational Grant Program

The Texas Public Educational Grant Program (TPEG) is a state administered program for students. Eligibility is determined using information from the FAFSA needs analysis. Priority consideration is given to full-time undergraduate students, but graduate students are eligible also.

Texas Grant Program

The Texas Grant program is a state funded program that helps qualified students pay tuition and fees. Criterion is based on the FAFSA needs analysis and completion of the recommended or distinguished high school curriculum. Priority will be given to students who meet the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board priority model and who have completed a FAFSA by the state priority deadline Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act for Texas Veterans was established by the Texas State Legislature. It is a tuition and fees waiver program to assist Texas veterans who have exhausted their eligibility for education benefits under the G.I. Bill and are not eligible for Federal Title IV grants. Veterans who qualify will receive a waiver of all tuition charges and specified fees.

The Hazelwood Legacy program was established for legal dependents of Texas Veterans. Veterans can transfer part or all 150 hours exemption to a designated dependent. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for further information about Hazlewood Act and other eligibility criteria. Hazlewood information can also be found at

Student Loans

Student loans are available through a number of federal and state programs. Loans differ in interest rates, terms of repayment, and provisions for in-school deferments. Student loans are not gift aid and must be repaid. Students must be enrolled in at least six hours to receive their loans, and must meet eligibility criteria as established by the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Direct Loan Program

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan provides guaranteed student loans to students at a low variable interest rate. The Federal government pays the interest on these loans while the borrower is enrolled in school. Eligibility for a subsidized Federal Stafford Loan is determined through the FAFSA need analysis. Only students demonstrating need will be eligible to receive subsidized loans; over awards are subject to reductions based on changes in status or enrollment.

All other Federal loans are unsubsidized. This means that the borrower begins paying interest on the loan at the time the loan is made. In most cases, the principal can be deferred during enrollment periods. Unsubsidized loans can be used to meet the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated in the FAFSA need analysis. The EFC is that portion of the student’s family income which should be available to help pay a portion of the student’s educational costs.

To qualify for loans, students must complete their Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) for U.T. Permian Basin with the Department of Education by logging onto Once completed the student must log on to Campus Connect and accept the loan. Students have the right to accept a portion or all of the loans. Students or parents wishing to cancel loans or disbursements must complete the Cancellation Notice available in the Office of Student Financial Aid within 14 days of receiving their loan disbursement notice.

Be On Time Loans (BOT)

The purpose of the Texas B-On-Time Loan program is to provide eligible Texas students no-interest loans to attend colleges and universities in Texas. If the student meets specified goals, the entire loan amount can be forgiven upon graduation. The Office of Student Financial Aid will determine if a student is eligible.

Teach for Texas Financial Assistance Program

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board administers a loan repayment program for teachers certified in fields in which there is a critical shortage of teachers, who take jobs as classroom teacher in those fields in Texas, Details about this program are found in Texas Education Code, Subchapter O, Section 56.351 – 56.355, and additional information may be obtained by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.

Student Work Study Programs

The Federal Work-Study Program provides on-campus employment opportunities for students to work as professional assistants, in the library, in student services, and in many other locations throughout the University. Because it is need-based, eligibility is determined from the FAFSA application. The number of hours per week is determined by the student’s award amount, but students may not work over 19 hours per week. Pay is based on a sliding scale, but no one receives less than minimum wage. Both graduates and undergraduates may receive Federal Work-Study awards. Students can access a list of employment opportunities online at the Career Services website. Go to the University website, then locate Career Services (under Campus Life), and then search the available list for current work-study jobs.

Off-campus Employment

Students can access a list of off-campus employment opportunities online at the Career Services website. Go to the University website, then locate Career Services (under Campus Life), and then search the available list for current off-campus jobs.

Regular Student Employment

Regular Student Employment is sometimes available through individual departments. These part-time jobs are not related to the need-based awards, and the employing department has considerable latitude in meeting personnel needs. Applications are submitted to the Office of Career Services. Students may not work over 19 hours per week.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Although state and national policy has established many objectives for student financial aid programs, one clear purpose is to fund only students who meet certain academic standards. Institutions are, therefore, required by law to formulate standards to gauge the progress of students receiving federal and state financial aid by applying both qualitative and quantitative measurements to academic work. A maximum time limit for the completion of a degree and a minimum grade point average (GPA) are used by the University to measure satisfactory academic progress. Most private and institutional scholarships have specific academic and enrollment standards required for renewal or continuance of the award, if renewal is allowed. The qualitative standard of satisfactory academic progress is measured by the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of courses taken at U. T. Permian Basin.

Qualitative Academic Progress

Undergraduate students must maintain a minimum CGPA of 2.00 each semester they are enrolled. Students falling below this minimum CGPA are subject to academic probation or dismissal as described in the “Grading Policies” section of this catalog. Failure to meet the minimum standards described above or in the “Grading Policies” section of this catalog will result in sanctions ranging from losing eligibility for scholarships to termination of all financial aid eligibility. Administration of this policy will be as follows:

  1. A student failing to meet the minimum standards for the first time may be eligible to receive financial aid for the following semester on probation provided the student can be expected to improve his or her academic performance to the minimum standards required after the probationary semester has ended.
  2. If the university determines that a student failing to meet the minimum standards for the first time and is not expected to improve his or her academic performance to the minimum standards will be suspended from receiving any further financial aid.
  3. A student placed on financial aid probation must meet academic standards after the probationary semester. Failure to meet SAP standards after the probationary period has ended will result in suspension for financial aid eligibility.

Quantitative Academic Progress

The University has established a quantitative measurement of academic progress toward completion of a student’s degree or certification program. Federal Title IV regulations state that student eligibility cannot extend past 150% of the stated length of a student’s program of study. A first baccalaureate program at U. T. Permian Basin requires a minimum 120 semester credit hours for graduation. Therefore, a student who is working on a first bachelor’s degree must complete the program within 180 attempted semester credit hours (120 hrs. x 1.50). Programs of different lengths would be similarly calculated. A student’s entire enrollment history is considered when evaluating academic progress within the established time frame, whether or not aid has been received previously. Students who have meet the 180 maximum timeframe are not eligible to receive any Title IV aid.

Completion of Attempted Hours

In addition to the overall time frame, a financial aid recipient must also be making progress toward completing the program by completing the number of funded hours attempted each year. Funded hours are those semester credit hours which are counted in determining a student’s enrollment status for payment of financial aid. Courses in which a “W”, “D”, “F”, “U” or “Z” has been recorded may be repeated once and be included as funded hours for financial aid (i.e., in the 12+ hours for full-time enrollment). Repeated courses in which a grade of “C” or higher, “S” or “I” has been recorded will not be included as funded hours for financial aid. Audited courses cannot be funded with financial aid or counted in the progress requirements.

Federal Title IV regulations specify that developmental courses may be included as funded hours for financial aid. These courses are numbered 0398, 0399 in the catalog (i.e., ENGL 0399, Fundamentals of Composition). The regulations also stipulate that a student may receive funding for not more than one year or thirty (30) hours of developmental courses. Therefore, each course numbered0398, 0399 may be repeated once and still receive financial aid funding provided all other progress requirements have been met.

A quantitative measurement of academic progress will be made at the end of each semester for all financial aid recipients. At the end of each semester a student must have successfully completed a minimum of seventy-five percent (75%) of all course enrollments attempted at U. T. Permian Basin. Any student who falls below the minimum completion rate of 75% will be placed on Financial Aid Probation or Suspension until the ratio of completed to attempted hours is again above 75%. Courses with a recorded grade of “F”, “U”, “W”, “Z”,”I”, or “PR” are not considered successfully completed. Only enrollments attempted and/or completed at U. T. Permian Basin will be considered when determining satisfactory academic programs at the end of each semester. Courses repeated or transferred from other institutions are not considered in measuring institutional satisfactory academic progress but will be used to monitor the overall 180 hour time frame for completion of a student’s program of study. Failure to Make Satisfactory Academic Progress

Student Academic Progress will be checked after each semester. Students who are found to not be making progress either for qualitative or quantitative reasons will be put on Financial Aid Warning and will be considered probationary. Students with a warning status will not have their aid suspended and will be allowed to receive aid for one additional semester. All students who are on Financial Aid Warning, and have not met the minimum requirements for academic progress, following the semester they were put on probation, will be put on financial aid suspension. These students will not be eligible to receive aid until they have successfully met the academic progress standards or complete a SAP appeal to request re-instatement.

Appealing Financial Aid Suspension

Students who have lost eligibility to receive financial aid as a result of Financial Aid Suspension must attain the minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress before becoming eligible to receive aid. The University recognizes that students sometimes encounter circumstances beyond their control that can adversely affect their academic progress. Any student subject to probation or suspension of financial aid eligibility may appeal to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Committee for a review of the decision. The appeal must be submitted in writing and include in the request an explanation and, if necessary, documentation of the reason(s) why the minimum academic standards required by this policy were not achieved. The appeal must also include a statement regarding how the problem has been corrected and how the student plans to ensure that progress will be met in the future.

If the SAP Committee believes that it is possible for the student to meet the standards for academic progress in one semester, the committee can grant the appeal. However, if the student does not meet the standards for academic progress in that semester, all aid will be suspended until they do make academic progress.

The SAP Committee can also approve an appeal based on a requirement that the student be placed on an academic plan. The academic plan will clearly outline what steps a student must take in order to make academic progress. As long as the student is following the plan, they will be considered to be making academic progress. If a student’s appeal is granted and they are not required to be placed on an academic plan, but the student does not make progress, they will have their aid suspended. The student cannot appeal their suspension again until after one semester of being on suspension. After their suspension period the student can appeal and the Financial Assistance Committee can either grant their appeal again, or require them to be put on an academic plan. The student will be notified by the Office of Student Financial Aid in writing of the SAP committee’s decision.

Return of Title IV Funds

As an institution participating in programs under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (hereinafter referred to as the “Act”), The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is required to refund unearned tuition, fees, room and board, and other charges to certain students attending the institution for the first time who have received a grant, a loan, or work assistance under Title IV of the Act, or whose parents have received a loan on their behalf under 20 U.S.C. Section 1087-2. The refund is required if the student does not register for, withdraws from, or otherwise fails to complete the period of enrollment (i.e. receives all failing grades in the semester) for which the financial assistance was intended. No refund is required if the student withdraws after a point in time that is sixty percent of the period of enrollment for which the charges were assessed. A student who withdraws prior to that time is entitled to a refund of tuition, fees, room and board, and other charges that is the larger of the amount provided for in Section 54.006, Texas Education Code, or a pro rata refund calculated pursuant to Section 484B of the Act, reduced by the amount of any unpaid charges and a reasonable administrative fee not to exceed the lesser of five percent, or one hundred dollars. If the student charges were paid by Title IV funds, a portion or all of the refund will be returned to these programs.

For example, a student withdraws on the 32nd day of classes of a 110 calendar day semester. The tuition and fee charges totaled $2,754. The student was awarded and received the following financial aid: $785 Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, $1,141 Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and $1,387 in Federal Pell Grant. The Return of Title IV Funds policy allows that the student “earned” 32/110 of the federal financial aid requiring the remainder to be returned to the federal aid programs. Under the policy, $1,778 would be returned to the Federal Direct Loan by UTPB creating a balance with UTPB. The remainder of the loan would be repaid under the terms of the promissory note.

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Assistance

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board administers various tuition assistance programs, including programs for teachers and vocational nursing students. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Coordinating Board or by visiting the College for all Texans website