Feb 02, 2023  
2019 - 2020 UTPB Undergraduate Catalog 
2019 - 2020 UTPB Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Student Records

Registration and Student Records

Academic Regulations


Undergraduate Scholastic Requirements

Registration and Student Records

Students who are officially admitted to the University may register for courses. Prior to each academic semester, a registration period is held. Students may find information on registration dates and the dates of other transactions that affect them in the course schedule or may also seek information on the web at www.utpb.edu

Registration Process

Any student who is currently enrolled or who has been accepted into the University is eligible to register for classes. Students who have been away from UT Permian Basin more than a year or are new to the University, must reapply or apply prior to any registration. Once accepted students may proceed to the registration process.

Freshman Registration

To assist freshmen who are entering the University in the fall semester, a special freshman registration is held in conjunction with freshman orientation. Only freshmen who attend orientation are advised and registered at this time. Dates for freshman orientation are provided for entering freshmen in advance of the scheduled orientation days. New students must complete the admissions process through the Office of Admissions prior to enrolling in classes. (See the Admissions section of the catalog and contact the Office of Admissions for further details.) Individuals who desire financial aid assistance should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid several months in advance of Freshman Orientation so their aid may be processed in a timely manner. (See the Financial Aid section of the catalog and contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for details regarding financial aid.)

All entering freshmen must enroll in UNIV 1101 (Freshman Seminar) if they have not completed 24 college credit hours prior to enrolling. Freshmen seeking an exemption from the Freshman Seminar should ask at orientation or a time prior to enrolling in classes.

New Transfer Students

Students who are transferring to the University or who are re-enrolling in the University after an absence of one year or more are permitted to register for classes during registration held prior to the beginning of classes only if they have been admitted or readmitted. This registration period is provided to allow students sufficient time to complete the registration process including, consulting advisors, signing up for classes, and paying tuition and fees. Students who are seeking financial aid and who have not completed this process by the financial aid priority deadline will inevitably be delayed in receiving funds from federal grants and secured and unsecured loans. (See the Financial Aid section of the catalog for details regarding financial aid.) Dates of registration are listed in the semester calendar of the course schedule and online at www.utpb.edu.

Online Registration

Online registration is available through an online student portal which is located on the home page of the UTPB website: www.utpb.edu. To be eligible to web register, students must have met TSI requirements, claim their student ID number, and received clearance from their academic advisor. In addition, the student’s account must be cleared of any restrictions or holds. The online portal allows students to view and print class schedules, grade reports, unofficial transcripts billing, financial aid and transfer courses. In addition, students can also view their current account and financial aid status.

Enrollment Verification

A student may request the Office of the Registrar to report to an outside agency their official enrollment status for a current term. Enrollment certification or verification must be requested by the student and will be processed after the official census date of the current term.

Student Advisement

Students are encouraged to visit with faculty advisors for degree and class schedule planning. At announced times, all currently enrolled undergraduate students and currently enrolled graduate students who have been admitted to a graduate program or are seeking teacher certification will be permitted to early register for courses in the subsequent term. Students needing an academic advisor should contact their dean’s office. Students may not register for conventionally taught partially self-paced courses after the last day of late registration.


E-Advisor is a service to facilitate the academic advising process. Students who need to: obtain their advisor’s name, make an appointment to meet their advisor, or be advised through phone or email can e-mail E-Advisor@utpb.edu if their help is needed. In the e-mail state the assistance needed, your major and your full name as it appears on your student records. Someone will respond by e-mail within one working day. Because advising by e-mail may require several e-mail exchanges, students should not plan to use e-mail as the sole method of getting academic advice during the last week before classes begin.

Changes in Enrollment

Adds (Courses)

Adding courses is an option to students before the census date of the semester they are enrolled in. . Students must initiate an addition or change to their schedule during the time given on the academic calendar.

Drops (Courses)

Dropping courses should not be confused with withdrawing from all courses. In courses taught on a conventional basis, a student may drop the course on or before the last day of the 10th week of classes. Students should consult the academic calendar for the last day to drop. Students may drop courses without permission of the instructor before the census date of the semester they are enrolled in. Students should refer to the course schedule for census date information.

Students must obtain the signature of the instructor whose course they are dropping if they drop the course after the census date and the last day to drop classes as given on the academic calendar for each fall and spring semester. Students may drop a class after the last date or drop only with permission of their Dean, Department Chair, and Academic Advisor.

The student must submit all requests to drop a course in writing to the Office of the Registrar. Faculty, relatives, or friends may not drop or add courses for a student. Drop forms must be completed at the Office of the Registrar prior to the end of the last day to drop. Failure to drop a class which is not being attended will result in a failing grade on the academic record. Students enrolling late in a course should not expect special make-up assistance from the instructor.

Students who enrolled in a Texas public institution of higher education as first-time freshmen in the Fall 2007 and thereafter are not permitted to drop more than six course during their entire undergraduate career, (Texas Administrative Code 4.10) unless they show good cause (i.e. severe illness, death of a family member, or active military duty.) This limit includes all transfer work taken at other institutions of higher education. Any courses dropped prior to the census class day will not be considered attempted hours.

Six Drop Rule

Students who enrolled in a Texas public institution of higher education as first-time freshmen in the fall 2007 and thereafter are not permitted to drop more than six courses during their entire undergraduate career, (Texas Administrative Code 4.10) This limit includes all transfer work taken at a Texas institution of higher education. Any courses dropped prior to the census class day will not be considered attempted hours. Courses that students transfer from a private or out-of-state institution are not subject to this rule.


Withdrawing is defined as a student who requests to withdraw from all classes currently enrolled. Students are required to complete withdrawal form from the Office of the Registrar and obtain the signatures of the Accounting office and the Student Financial Aid Office. In cases of illness, students may have someone notify the Registrar who will arrange for withdrawal. In addition, an administrative withdrawal can be processed in a situation in which an active duty member of the US armed forces is called to duty. The student must provide documents stating the official date to report to duty. A student who is withdrawing as result of military service may choose the following (1) receive a refund of tuition and fees, (2) if eligible, be assigned an incomplete I, or (3) at the institution’s discretion, receive a final grade in each course where substantial amount of course work has been completed and mastery of the material is demonstrated. A completed withdrawal form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the final date to withdraw. Students should consult the academic calendar for the last day to withdraw from the University. A withdrawal request after the last date to withdraw must be processed via an Academic Petition Form and be approved by the academic advisor of the student, the chair of the department, and the academic dean. Failure to withdraw from the University will result in a failing grade on the academic record for all classes which the student never attended or stopped attending.

A withdrawal request becomes effective the date the completed and signed form is received from the student by the Office of the Registrar. Students should consult the Refund of Tuition and Fees Policy in the Regulations on Tuition and Fees section of this catalog to determine if they are entitled to a refund upon dropping a class or withdrawing from the University.

Military Called to Duty

In accordance with Section 51.9111 of the Texas Education Code, students are excused from scheduled classes or other required activities if the student is called to and participate in active military service for a brief period. The student will be allowed to complete an assignment or exam within reasonable time after the absence.

Observance of Religious Holy day

A student who misses an examination, work assignment or other required project due to an observance of a religious holy day will be given the opportunity to complete the work missed within a reasonable time after the absence. It is the student’s responsibility to make proper notification to all class instructors for the day of the absence. Although a student who is excused under this policy may not be penalized for the absence, the instructor may appropriately respond if the student fails to satisfactorily complete the assignment or examination.

Texas Success Initiative

The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) (Texas Education Code 51.3062) is a comprehensive program of assessment, advising, developmental education, and other strategies to ensure college readiness. Students are encouraged to speak to a counselor or advisor about their responsibilities regarding the TSI. For students who are first-time college students, initial testing will be required prior to your first semester. In the fall 2013 semester, the TSI Assessment becomes the only test recognized by the state of Texas for entry into any public college in the state. Previously, a variety of assessments were accepted for initial testing, including THEA and Accuplacer. Test scores from those instruments will still be recognized as long as the student was enrolled in at least one class prior to the start of the fall 2013 semester. TSI test results are valid for five (5) years from date of testing.

Minimum Passing Standards

Freshmen entering higher education must have these minimum cut scores.

  • Mathematics - 350
  • Reading - 351
  • Writing - Essay Score of 5; Essay Score of 4 and Multiple Choice of 340


The following students shall be exempt from these assessment requirements. Exempt students will not be required to provide any additional demonstration of college readiness and will be allowed to enroll in any entry-level freshman course:

  1. For a period of five (5) years from the date of testing, a student who is tested and performs at or above the following standards that cannot be raised by institutions:
    1. ACT: composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on the English test shall be exempt for both the reading and writing sections of the TSI Assessment, and/or 19 on the mathematics test shall be exempt for the mathematics section of the TSI Assessment;
    2. SAT: a combined critical reading (formerly “verbal”) and mathematics score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on the critical reading test shall be exempt for both reading and writing sections of the TSI Assessment, and/or 500 on the mathematics test shall be exempt for the mathematics section of the TSI Assessment; or
    3. SAT: Taken after March 1, 2016, a minimum score of 480 evidence based reading and writing and 530 in math.  No combined score is required.
  2. For a period of three (3) years from the date of testing, a student who is tested and performs on the Texas Assessment of Academic Skills (TAAS) with a minimum scale score of 1770 on the writing test, a Texas Learning Index (TLI) of 86 on the mathematics test and 89 on the reading test.
  3. For a period of five (5) years from the date of testing, a student who is tested and performs at or above the following standards that cannot be raised by institutions:
    1. on the Eleventh grade exit-level Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) with a minimum scale score of 2200 on the math section and/or a minimum scale score of 2200 on the English Language Arts section with a writing subsection score of at least 3, shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment requirements for those corresponding sections; or
    2. STAAR end-of-course (EOC) with a minimum score of Level 2 on the English III shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for both reading and writing, and a minimum score of Level 2 on the Algebra II EOC shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment requirements for the mathematics section.
  4. A student who has graduated with an associate or baccalaureate degree from an institution of higher education.
  5. A student who transfers to an institution from a private or independent institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and who has satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by the receiving institution.
  6. A student who has previously attended any institution and has been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution.
  7. A student who is enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less (Level-One certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public junior college, a public technical institute, or a public state college.
  8. A student who is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and has been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment.
  9. A student who on or after August 1, 1990, was honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
  10. A non-degree-seeking or non-certificate-seeking student. Any student above who has been determined to be exempt in mathematics, reading, and/or writing will not be required to enroll in developmental coursework and/or interventions in the corresponding area of exemption.
  11. ESOL Waiver–UTPB may also grant a temporary waiver from the required assessment for students with demonstrated limited English proficiency in order to provide appropriate ESOL/ESL coursework and interventions. The waiver will be removed prior to the student attempting 15 credit hours of developmental ESOL coursework or attempting entry-level freshman coursework, whichever comes first, at which time the student would be administered the TSI Assessment.

Variant Courses

Developmental Courses

Unless exempt, a student who fails an approved TSI exam must register for the appropriate developmental course. It is the student’s responsibility to provide official scores to the Office of Admissions in order to qualify for an exemption prior to enrollment or expiration of those scores. Additional information concerning TSI, or a list of further exemptions, may be obtained by contacting the Office of the Registrar.

No student may withdraw from a developmental course unless the student is withdrawing from the University. Students will be permitted to withdraw from these courses only if they retake and pass the appropriate TSI section during the semester. Students who fail any portion on the second attempt may be permitted to enroll in a course approved by the Coordinating Board in an attempt to earn a grade of “C” or better. Students who earn a “C” or better in appropriate course will be considered to have satisfied the TSI requirement.

The following are approved courses which are used for meeting TSI requirements (Identified by Common Course Numbers):

  • Writing: ENGL 1301 (Composition I); or ENGL 1302 (Composition II).
  • Reading: HIST 1301, 1302 (U.S. History); ENGL 2321, 2322, 2323 (British Literature); ENGL 2331, 2332, 2333 (World Literature); ENGL 2326, 2327, 2328 (American Literature); PSYC 2301 (General Psychology); or GOVT 2301, 2302, 2305, 2306 (American Government).
  • Mathematics: MATH 1314 (College Algebra); MATH 1332, 1333 (College Mathematics); or a more advance mathematics course for which any of the above are prerequisites.

Courses numbered 0301, 0398, 0399, 0400 are developmental in content. These courses may be required of students who do not pass all portions of the TSI exam or whose institutional placement test scores indicate a need for developmental preparation. Developmental courses do appear on the student’s transcript, but do not provide credit toward a degree. Students receiving financial aid should consult the Office of Student Financial Aid concerning the effect of developmental coursework on academic progress.

The TSI rules and regulations shown in this catalog are those in effect when this catalog went to print. TSI rules and regulations are subject to change due to action by the Texas Legislature.

Placement Testing

There are four areas tested for proper placement into courses, chemistry, math, and writing. Tests are used for students who are TSI exempt.

  • Chemistry: Students who plan to take CHEM 1311/1111 (Science, Nursing, and Engineering majors) must take the chemistry diagnostic test which is available only on this campus in the PASS Office. The test takes about 1 ½ hours to complete.
  • Math: Students are placed into math classes based on a combination of their high school class percentile and SAT or ACT scores.
  • Writing: Students are placed into English classes based on the results from the Directed Self Placement Test (DSP).

Freshmen are required to take the assessment instrument before they may register. Students whose assessment scores are not high enough must register for remedial courses in the area they did not meet the standard score. For additional information contact the PASS Office at 432-552-2630.

Auditing Class (Non-credit course registration)

U. T. Permian Basin allows a person who does not desire course credit to register for classes on a noncredit basis. This is known as auditing a course. Students auditing classes are permitted to attend classes and participate in the course discussions, studio and laboratory work and other class activities but are not required to complete work outside the classroom or sit for exams. The fee for auditing a course is $35 per credit hour plus any applicable lab fee. This fee covers course participation, library use and computer use privileges similar to those of students. It does not cover parking or provide access to student services covered by the student service fee or the medical services fee. No credit is earned through auditing the class and a student may not earn credit through examination for audited courses. Student may not audit contract study, self-paced, thesis, and research or practicum courses. Students applying only for the purposes of auditing a course are not required to meet all admission requirements.

However, students that have been denied admission are not eligible to enroll to audit. For further information on admissions for auditing purposes, contact the Admissions Office. Registration for auditing courses can occur only during the late registration period. It is on a space available basis only and requires the instructor’s permission. Students should contact the Office of the Registrar for audit enrollment forms and procedures.

Concurrent Enrollment

U. T. Permian Basin normally limits concurrent enrollment to community colleges. Students desiring credit for concurrent enrollment at another four-year institution or upper level institution must have the prior express permission in writing from the appropriate Dean before enrollment. When a student registers at more than one public institution of higher education at the same time, charges shall be determined in the following manner: Tuition credit is available if three hours or fewer are being taken at U. T. Permian Basin while concurrently enrolled at an area community college. The student must first register at the area college and bring a receipt to U. T. Permian Basin. U. T. Permian Basin’s tuition charge will be the difference between the student’s total tuition at each of the institutions, but never less than the hourly rate at U. T. Permian Basin.

Independent Study (Contract Study)

Several types of independent study are available at U. T. Permian Basin. These are referred to as Contract Study Courses, which include readings, special problems, selected topics, library research, and certain other learning activities. Before students may register for these courses, plans for the proposed study showing the objectives, procedures to be used for evaluation, and other plans must be written and approved by the appropriate instructor, and by the Dean or Department Chair. Contract studies are not intended to substitute, by content, for courses listed in the catalog.

Lifetime Sports

Every student is encouraged to enroll in lifetime sports. A maximum of four credits may be applied as electives toward requirements for a bachelor’s degree. Some programs have additional limitations on the use of lifetime sports credit. Please see major requirements for details.

Self-Paced Instruction (SPI)

Self-paced instruction (SPI) is often referred to as personalized instruction in master learning. Self-paced courses are designed to permit students to complete courses as rapidly as they are capable, or to take more time if needed to master them. SPI usually requires no formal class meetings, although in many courses the instructor meets once a week with a group of students desiring additional interaction or discussion. Most student-instructor contact in SPI is on an individual basis. Students enrolled in SPI courses are expected to interact with the professor either individually or in a group situation at least once each week or as often as a given course requires.

Self-paced courses are offered in many fields or degree programs. Students in SPI courses are provided with a course outline including instructions for study, activities to complete, sources of information and other necessary instructions. Students may visit the instructor as often as needed to discuss and clarify the course material and to answer questions. When students believe they have mastered a unit within a SPI course, they may take the appropriate test.

If students pass at the prescribed level, they proceed to the next unit. In some courses, if students do not pass the unit, they may restudy it until they pass the test. Each unit must be passed in sequential order, so when all units and tests are successfully completed, students should have mastered the course material.

Since students may not need to attend class in SPI courses, they may begin such courses at any time up to four weeks prior to the end of the semester. Established deadlines for adding or dropping courses published in the course schedule refer to courses taught only on a conventional basis and not to courses taught on an SPI basis. SPI courses may not be dropped during final examination week. Although students have the option of continuing an SPI course into a succeeding semester, they are encouraged to complete it during the same semester for which they register. Students who do not complete the course in one semester’s time may receive a grade of Z (satisfactory work in progress) and must reregister during a subsequent semester when the course is offered and pay tuition for the course if completion is desired.

Partially self-paced courses are administered on the same basis as regular courses. The registration, drop/add, withdrawal, course completion and grading for partially self-paced courses are administered as all other conventional classes.

Requests for Access to Student Records (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C. Sec.1232g, and the Texas Public Information Act, Texas Government Code Sec. 552.001 et seq., are respectively a federal and state law that provide for the review and disclosure of student educational records. In accordance with these laws the University has adopted the following policy. Individuals are informed of their rights under these laws through this policy which is included in The University Handbook of Operating Procedures and the University Catalog.

The University will not permit access to or the release of personally identifiable information contained in student education records without the written consent of the student to any party, except as follows:

  • to appropriate University officials who require access to education records in order to perform their legitimate education duties
  • to officials of other schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll, upon request of these officials, and upon the condition that the student be notified and receive a copy of the record if desired;
  • to federal, state, or local officials or agencies authorized by law;
  • in connection with a student’s application for, or receipt of, financial aid;
  • to accrediting organizations or organizations conducting educational studies, provided that these organizations do not release personally identifiable data and destroy such data when it is no longer needed for the purpose it was obtained;
  • to the parents of a dependent student as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, provided a reasonable effort is made to notify the student in advance;
  • in compliance with a judicial order or subpoena, provided a reasonable effort is made to notify the student in advance unless such subpoena specifically directs the institution not to disclose the existence of a subpoena;
  • in an emergency situation if the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons; or
  • to an alleged victim of any crime of violence, the results of the alleged perpetrator’s disciplinary proceeding may be released;
  • to a parent of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any University rule or policy, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the University determines that the student has committed a disciplinary violation with respect to that use or possession and the student is under the age of 21 at the time of the disclosure to the parent.

The University will release information in student education records to appropriate University officials as indicated in (15.111) above when such records are needed by administrators, faculty, or staff in furtherance of the educational or business purposes of the student or University.

A record of requests for disclosure and such disclosure of personally identifiable information from student education records shall be maintained by the Registrar for each student and will also be made available for inspection pursuant to this policy. If the institution discovers that a third party who has received student records from the institution has released or failed to destroy such records in violation of this policy, it will prohibit access to education records by that third party for five (5) years. Respective records no longer subject to audit nor presently under request for access may be purged according to regular schedules.

Directory Information

At its discretion, the University may release Directory Information which shall include:

  • name, address, telephone number, email address
  • place of birth
  • major field of study
  • participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • dates of attendance
  • most recent previous education institution attended
  • student classification
  • enrollment status (full-time, part-time, undergraduate, graduate, etc)
  • degrees and awards
  • date of graduation
  • physical factors (height and weight) of athletes

Students may have any or all Directory Information withheld by notifying the Office of the Registrar in writing each semester during the first 12 days of class of a fall or spring semester, the first 4 class days of a summer semester, or the first three days of any quarter. Request for non-disclosure will be honored by the institution for only the current enrollment period; therefore, a request to withhold Directory Information must be filed each semester or term in the Office of the Registrar.

Access to File

Upon written request, the University shall provide a student with access to his or her educational records. The Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services has been designated by the institution to coordinate the inspection and review procedures for student education records, which include admissions files and academic files. The Vice President for Business Affairs has been designated by the institution to coordinate the inspection and review procedures for student financial files. Students wishing to review their education records must make written requests to the Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services listing the item or items of interest. Students wishing to review their financial files must make written requests to the Vice President for Business Affairs listing the item or items of interest. Education records covered by the Act will be made available within 45 days of the request. A list of education records and those officials responsible for the records shall be maintained at the Office of the Registrar. This list includes:

  • Academic Records: Office of the Registrar (Admissions/Registrar): College, Division, Department and Faculty Offices
  • Student Services Records: Student Activities Office: Director of Student Activities, Student Services: Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services
  • Financial Records: Business Office: Vice President for Business Affairs, Financial Aid Office: Director of Financial Aid

Educational records do not include, subject to specific limitations of FERPA regulations (34 CFR Part 99):

  • financial records of student’s parents or guardian
  • confidential letters of recommendation which were placed in the educational records of a student prior to January1, 1975, and confidential letters and confidential statements of recommendation placed in the student’s educational file
  • records after January 1, 1975, if the student has waived, in writing, his or her right to inspect and review these letters and statements and those letters and statements are related to the student’s admission to the University
  • application for employment, or receipt of an honor or honorary recognition
  • records of instructional, administrative, and educational personnel which are kept in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a temporary substitute for the maker
  • records of law enforcement units
  • employment records related exclusively to an individual’s employment capacity;
  • medical and psychological records
  • thesis or research papers, which may be made available to interested members of the public; or
  • records that only contain information about an individual after the individual is no longer a student at the institution.

Challenge to Record

Students may challenge the accuracy of their educational records. Students who believe that their educational records contain information that is inaccurate or misleading, or is otherwise in violation of their privacy may discuss their problems informally with the Registrar. If agreement is reached with respect to the student’s request, the appropriate records will be amended. If not, the student will be notified within a reasonable period of time that the records will not be amended, and they will be informed by the Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services of their right to a formal hearing.

Student requests for a formal hearing must be made in writing to the Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services who, within a reasonable period of time after receiving such requests, will inform students of the date, place and the time of the hearing. Students may present evidence relevant to the issues raised and may be assisted or represented at the hearings by one or more persons of their choice, including attorneys, at the student’s expense. The hearing officer that will adjudicate such challenges will be appointed by the Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services in non-academic matters and by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs in academic matters. Decisions of the hearing officer will be final, will be based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing, will consist of the written statements summarizing the evidence and stating the reasons for the decisions, and will be delivered to all parties concerned. The education records will be corrected or amended in accordance with the decision of the hearing officer, if the decision is in favor of the student. If the decision is unsatisfactory to the student, the student may place, with the educational records, statements commenting on the information in the records or statements setting forth any reasons for disagreeing with the decision of the hearing officer, or both. The statements will be placed in the education records, maintained as part of the student’s records, and released whenever the records in question are disclosed. Students who believe that the adjudications of their challenges were unfair or not in keeping with the provisions of the Act may request in writing, assistance from the President.

Copies of Educational Records

Students may have copies of their educational records and this policy. These copies will be made at the student’s expense at rates authorized in the Texas Public Information Act except that official transcripts will be $7.00 charged at the current rate approved as a university fee. Official copies of academic records or transcripts will not be released for students who have a delinquent financial obligation or financial “hold” at the University.

FERPA Complaints

Complaints regarding alleged failures to comply with the provisions of the FERPA may be submitted in writing to the Family Policy Compliance Office, U. S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-5920. Notice: Students are advised that research papers authorized by undergraduate students may be made available to interested members of the public.

Residency Reclassification

The Registrar has been designated as the Residence Determination Official for the University. The official will make the determination of a student’s residence status based on information provided by the student on the reclassification residency student packet and any additional information provided by the student.

A student has a right to apply for reclassification of residency for tuition purposes after a continuous 12 month period of living in Texas. To be considered a resident of this state the student must meet one of the following:

  • Have established a domicile in this state not later than one year before the census date of the academic term in which the person is enrolled in an institution of higher education; and maintained that domicile continuously for the year preceding that census date;
  • Be a dependent whose parent established a domicile in this state not later than one year before the census date of the academic term in which the dependent is enrolled in an institution of higher education; and maintained that domicile continuously for the year preceding that census date;
  • Have graduated from a public or private high school in this state or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this state; and maintained a residence continuously in this state for the three years preceding the date of graduation or receipt of the diploma equivalent, as applicable;

A nonresident student may be reclassified as a resident if employment or personal factors or actions indisputably indicating a permanent intention to reside in the State. Students who would like to be reclassified are required to apply for reclassification with the Residence Determination official in the Office of the Registrar. Students must submit all required forms and any additional supporting documents for the purpose of reclassification in the allotted time of a forthcoming semester. Any reclassification materials received after the official census date (12th class day fall or spring semesters; or 4th class day in summer semesters) will be processed for the next semester. International students living in the United States under a visa permitting permanent residence, and aliens who are permitted by Congress to adopt the United States as their domicile while they are in Texas must wait a period 12 months from which their residence in United States was granted before they may apply for reclassification of in-state status.

It is the responsibility of the student to notify the University of their intent to be reclassified and to contact the Residence Determination Official (Registrar) 30 days prior to enrolling in an approaching semester. Residency packets can be obtained online at http://www.utpb.edu/services/academic-affairs/office-of-the-registrar/residency

Independent Student (Texas Resident)

A student who is 18 years of age or older, moves to the State of Texas, and is gainfully employed in Texas for 12 months prior to enrolling in an institution of higher education is considered an independent student and is entitled to a residency status of in-state; unless the individual is in Texas for some purpose other than establishing residence in the state. A student who enrolls prior to having lived in Texas 12 month will be classified as a non-resident student.

Dependent Student (Texas Resident)

A students who is claimed as dependents on their parent’s/legal court appointed guardian’s income tax, and who provide the sufficient documentation to support the residency claim of the parent may be entitle to a residency status of in-state if their parent or legal court appointed guardian will prove their residency in Texas in support of the dependent student. Residency reclassification forms can be accessed by visiting the Office of the Registrar or the forms may be printed from the Registrar’s webpage at http://www.utpb.edu/services/academic-affairs/office-of-the-registrar. Students may access the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for rules governing Texas residency at the following web site: www.thecb.state.tx.us/cbrules

Course Schedule

A course schedule is printed prior to each enrollment period. Students will have the opportunity to view all available courses being offered for a forthcoming semester. The schedule of classes not only provides students with information on registration but additional information needed by students, such as dates and times of courses, registration dates, semester calendar , advising information, financial aid information and the location of courses. The University also provides this information online on the official UTPB website: www.utpb.edu

The Class Day

The class day begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 10:00 p.m. U. T. Permian Basin offers courses in the late afternoon and evening as part of the regular offerings. Students enrolling in these courses register in the same manner as students who are taking only daytime courses. Full-time students may have both day and evening classes. For information of class times, please see the Schedule of Classes printed version or web schedule.


Transcripts of grades earned at U.T. Permian Basin are available in the Office of the Registrar. The Family Education rights and Privacy Act requires that the student sign all transcript requests and releases. For details on obtaining transcripts contact the Office of the Registrar at 552-2635 or online at http://www.utpb.edu/services/academic-affairs/office-of-the-registrar/transcript-request- Students will be responsible for all fees related to obtaining an official copy of a university transcript.

Course Numbering

Courses are identified by a four-letter prefix of the discipline followed by a four-digit course number.   The first digit represents the level as outlined below.  The second digit denotes the number of credit hours. The last two digits are departmental designations, normally used to distinguish courses of the same level and credit value. 

  • 0398 -0399        Developmental courses
  • 1000-1999         Freshman courses.
  • 2000-2999         Sophomore courses.
  • 3000-3999         Junior courses.
  • 4000-4999         Senior courses.
  • 6000-6999        Graduate courses

Veterans Education Benefits

In compliance with United States Department of Veteran Affairs, the University aids veteran students in receiving Veteran Education Benefits. An official education certifying officer processes the applications and forms needed to certify the attendance of a veteran student at the University. Veteran students seeking additional information may contact the designated education certifying officer, in the Office of the Registrar, or may seek veteran information at www.gibill.gov

Veteran Education Counselors

Texas Government Code 434.302 allows for the Texas Veteran Commission to employ veteran counselors to work with institutions of higher education to promote and support veteran educational opportunities. Veterans who are enrolled in classes should contact the Coordinator of Veteran Services of the certifying officer at UTPB for more information.


Academic Regulations

University Authorized Absences

In accordance with authorized University activities (such as athletic events or scholastic activities that are officially sponsored by the University) notification by a designated individual of the activity will be made for all student participants of that activity. It is the student’s responsibility to notify each instructor of his or her absence should an examination or work assignment be missed on the day of absence. An instructor is under no obligation to accommodate a student who is absent or misses work assignments without prior notification and make-up arrangements.

Academic Petition

An academic petition is used (1) to gain approval for an exception to any scholastic regulation or (2) to document an official interpretation of an academic regulation. Forms for petitions are available at department and college offices. Normally, the student’s advisor’s signature and other faculty signatures, as appropriate, are required before the dean of the student’s major field will approve or not approve a petition. Petitions regarding teacher certification requirements require the signature of the Dean of Education in addition to the student’s major dean signature. The dean’s decision is the final step in the petition process.

Academic Appeal (Grade Appeals)

A student who wishes to dispute an assigned grade should first submit a written appeal to the instructor and seek resolution via a conference either in person, by telephone, or virtually with the instructor.

The student should consult with the Student Rights Advocate and may consult with the advocate throughout the duration of the appeal process. The Student Rights Advocate is appointed by the Dean of Students:

  • If, within five (5) working days of the conference with the instructor, the student believes that the issue has not been addressed or disagrees with the outcome of conference, the student should initiate and register a formal written complaint through the University Complaint Resolution Portal (http://utpb.edu/services/business-affairs/complaint-resolution).  The written complaint will be routed to the relevant Department Chair or supervisor (if the instructor does not have a Chair or if the instructor is the Chair) who will schedule a conference either in person, by phone, or virtually with the student.
  • If, within ten (10) working days after the meeting with the Department Chair or supervisor, the student believes the grade appeal has not been addressed or disagrees with the outcome of the conference with the Department Chair or supervisor, the student should file a written appeal directly (not via the University Complaint Form Portal) with the appropriate academic Dean and seek an appointment either in person, by telephone, or virtually with him or her. 

Upon receipt of the written appeal, the Dean will schedule a meeting in person, by telephone, or virtually with the student. Following the appointment with the student, the Dean will investigate the matter.

The Dean shall respond to the appeal within (10) working days of the meeting with the student unless an investigation requires additional time in which case the circumstances should be documented. The decision of the Dean shall be final.


Class attendance is required for those students taking developmental coursework (classes numbered 0398 and 0399), students enrolled in freshman level courses, international students, students receiving veteran’s education benefits, and students receiving federal Title IV financial aid. In addition, some disciplines and many instructors have class attendance requirements. Students should consult with the individual instructors concerning class attendance requirements for the course.

The University may void the registration of a student who has not attended any classes or attended two or fewer days of classes on or before the twentieth class day. Faculty shall report to the Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services or other designated University officials any student who is not attending classes as required above. The Office of Student Services shall seek to contact the student through their official campus contact information and permanent address information in the Registrar’s records. If the student cannot be contacted or has only attended two or fewer days of classes on or before the twentieth class day the University may void the student’s registration. After receiving written notification from the Senior Associate Vice President for Student Services or other designated official to void a student’s registration, the Registrar will send a registered letter notifying the student of the University’s action and appeals process under the Handbook of Operation Procedures, part five, section 2. If a registration is voided, tuition and fees will be refunded minus the matriculation fee and other non-refundable fees. Students should also be aware that the voiding of their registration may leave them with a financial liability to the University or Financial Aid Provider for financial aid paid to them for expenses other than tuition and fees. The Office of Financial Aid will send a student, whose registration, is voided a notification of obligations owed.


Students at UT Permian Basin are classified in accordance with the number of semester hours earned. Hours earned are interpreted as hours passed at UT Permian Basin plus hours accepted in transfer from other institutions and/or credit by examination.

  • Freshman: One who has earned fewer than 30 hours.
  • Sophomore: One who has earned 30 hours but fewer than 60 hours
  • Junior: One who has earned 60 hours but fewer than 90 hours
  • Senior: One who has earned 90 hours or more.
  • Degreed or Post Baccalaureate: One who has earned a bachelor’s degree or higher and is enrolled as an undergraduate.

Concurrent Enrollment

Tuition credit is available if three undergraduate hours or fewer are being taken at U.T. Permian Basin while concurrently enrolled at an area community college. The student must first register at the area college and bring a receipt to U.T. Permian Basin. U.T. Permian Basin’s tuition charge will be the difference between the student’s total tuition at each of the institutions, but never less than the hourly rate at U.T. Permian Basin.

Concurrent Second Bachelor’s Degree (150 SCH minimum)

A student desiring to complete two bachelor’s degrees concurrently (showing both major degrees on the transcript and receiving two diplomas) must complete all requirements of each degree program including a minimum of 30 semester credit hours more than required in one of the degree programs. Students electing to major in two fields must meet the specified requirements for each major. No one course can be counted in the semester credit hours in more than one major. For example, the minimum is 120 semester credit hours to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in one field, the student will need 150 semester credit hours to graduate with two bachelor’s degrees (i.e., 120 semester credit hours for the first and 30 more semester credit hours for the second). One diploma is issued for each degree.

Second Bachelor’s Degree (30 SCH minimum)

A student already holding a bachelor’s degree from U. T. Permian Basin or another accredited institution and seeking to earn a second bachelor’s degree from U. T. Permian Basin must complete a minimum of 30 semester credit hours from U. T. Permian Basin of which at least 6 semester credit hours must be upper level credits in the student’s major field. The student must fulfill all the requirements of the major including prerequisites even if the number of semester credit hours exceeds 30. Furthermore, the student must also complete 6 semester credit hours in American government (including Texas constitution) and 6 credits in American history. These hours will be included in the 30 semester credit house if they are earned at U. T. Permian Basin.

Course Credit Load

Each semester credit hour at U. T. Permian Basin represents a commitment on an average of three hours of “out of class” preparation and one hour of class attendance (or its equivalent) per week. For example, enrolling in a three semester credit hour class commits the student to a total of twelve hours of work per week. Students who are employed or who have family responsibilities are especially encouraged to bear this commitment in mind and to seek guidance from their academic advisors in determining a suitable academic schedule. For undergraduate students without substantial family or work responsibilities, the normal course load during the fall and spring semesters are 15 semester credit hours. Students making satisfactory academic progress may take 18 semester credit hours without permission of the Dean; more than this requires permission of the Dean. Only in rare cases will students be permitted to enroll for more than 21 semester credit hours in a fall or spring semester and then only with the written approval of their Dean. Maximum class load during the summer sessions is 18 semester credits.

The foregoing applies to conventionally taught courses. In courses offered on a self-paced instruction basis, additional credits may be taken, particularly when courses are involved for which a portion of the work has already been completed at the time of registration. This is subject to approval by the student’s academic advisor and the Dean.

All international students must enroll as full-time students during the fall and spring semesters (12 semester credit hours minimum for undergraduates and 9 semester credit hours minimum for graduates). The student is not required to enroll in any courses during the summer terms. The international student may not drop or withdraw from courses at any time if such action would result in less than a full-time course load in the fall and spring semesters. International students, residing in the US on an F-1 visa may only count three hours of online courses toward their full time enrollment requirement.

Double Major (120 SCH minimum)

Students electing to major in two fields must meet the specified requirements for each major and no one course can be counted in the semester credit hours in more than one major. In certain cases this may require completion of additional course work. In addition, each college or school must certify that the student has satisfied all major, as well as college or school requirements. No minor is required when completing two majors. Only one degree will be shown on the diploma and only one diploma will be issued. Both majors will appear on the transcript. Not all degrees allow for double majors.

Experiential Learning

Unless they have had appropriate work experience, candidates for the bachelor’s degree are encouraged to complete a planned program of experiential learning. Experiential learning, referred to in various departments as “Authentic Involvement,” “Internship,” or “Practicum,” normally occurs during the senior year, usually in the final semester, and provides students an opportunity to apply their academic learning in a work environment under the supervision of a faculty member and the direction of a supervisor in the work situation. Experiential learning requires a preplanned and written program of the experiences for the student and a procedure for evaluating these experiences. Typically, students enroll in experiential learning for 2-3 semester credit hours, which requires 5-10 hours of work per week for one semester or the equivalent.

Grading Policies

Grades at U. T. Permian Basin distinguish between levels of student achievement. They represent, in abbreviated form, the instructor’s judgment of the student’s academic performance. In addition, they provide a basis for certifying completion of all degree requirements. They may serve as predictors of future performance in graduate and professional study. The grades approved for use at U. T. Permian Basin are as follows:

A = Superior achievement S = Satisfactory
B = High achievement U = Unsatisfactory
C = Average achievement I = Incomplete (not available for SPI courses)
D = Minimal achievement Z = Acceptable progress (SPI only)
F = Failure to achieve minimal standard PR = Work in Progress (masters thesis/project)
+ = High grade W = Dropped class or withdrawal from the University
- = Low grade  

Only grades of A, B, C, D, U and F are included in computing grade point average (GPA): A = 4; B = 3; C = 2; D = 1; F = O. Pluses and minuses are awarded at the instructor’s discretion but are not computed in GPA. The grades of I, W, S, Z, and PR are not computed in GPA. The grade of U is calculated as an F grade. Grades of Q, QP, and QF were used to denote courses dropped, dropped/passing, and dropped/failing from 1973 through summer semester 1985. The grades of Q and QP were not computed in the GPA. The grade of QF calculated as an F grade.

Incomplete “I” Grade

An “I” grade or Incomplete grade is reported when students have not met all requirements of a course by the end of the semester and the instructor considers the allowance of additional time to complete course requirements. When reporting an “I” grade, the instructor must complete an ‘Incomplete Report or contract specifying: (1) the deficiency or the additional work to be done; (2) the length of time allowed to complete the work (no later than the last class day of the subsequent semester, summer excluded); and (3) the grade that would have been earned “as is” at the time the course ended. If a grade of “I” is to be assigned to a student the incomplete contract requires both the signature of the student and the instructor. Failure to have this document completed and signed by the appropriate individuals will void the contract.
In addition, a punitive grade of “F” will be assigned per administrative function of the Registrar (1) if an incomplete contract has no “as is” grade given and contract has expired; or (2) the Official time allotted for the contact has expired. If a student is in contract for a specific course, the student cannot register for the same course. If the contract has expired or the student has been assigned an administrative “F” then he or she will be allowed to register for the course.

Self-Paced Instructed Grade (Z Grade)

A “Z” grade is defined as a grade given to specific Self-paced Instructed courses. A grade of “Z” is reported when a student has not completed all necessary requirements to complete the course. The grade of “Z” is specifically given to SPI course types and should not be considered a normal grade to be given for any other type of course. A grade “Z” is non-punitive in considering a student’s GPA and consequently will not affect the totaling of the student’s GPA. A student who has received a grade of “Z” has the opportunity to re-register for the same course to complete the course. The “Z” grade is permanently kept on records in compliance with both federal and state requirements for an academic students record. If the student re-takes the course there will be no grade replacement. While the Z grade carries no penalty, a high number may reflect poor schedule management. Z grades remain part of the permanent student transcript.

Access to Grades

Students can view their semester grades, as well as their unofficial transcript, through their student portal.  Final grades for classes may be viewed as soon as it is posted to the transcript, unless the student has a financial or disciplinary hold on their account.  These type holds must be cleared before students have access to their grades.   

Honor Roll (Presidents and Deans)

Each semester students who have exhibited outstanding academic achievement will be honored. Students who have a semester grade point average (GPA) of 3.50 to 3.99 will be listed on the Dean’s Honor Roll.  Those students who have achieved a semester grade point average of 4.00 will be included on the President’s Honor Roll. This honor will be publicized and noted on the student’s academic transcript.

In addition to the grade point average requirement, candidates for the Dean’s Honor Roll and the President’s Honor Roll must meet the following criteria: (1) they must be seeking a first bachelor’s degree only; and (2) they must have earned a minimum of 12 semester credit hours at U. T. Permian Basin. The last 12 semester credit hours of work for part-time students, is the basis for calculating the GPA for the Dean’s and President’s honor roll. If the last cumulative 12 semester credit hours must include a previous semester, all courses from the previous semester will be used in the calculation

Academic Probation and Dismissal

Students are placed on academic probation under three circumstances. First, some students are conditionally admitted. These students are placed on academic probation as a condition of admission. Second, students with 12 or more semester credit hours attempted and a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of lower than 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. Third, students re-admitted to the university following an academic dismissal are placed on academic probation. While on academic probation, the Dean of Undergraduate Success or his designee will develop a plan for the academic success of the student. Students on academic probation will be required to comply with the terms of this plan. A student will be released from academic probation when his or her cumulative grade point average rises to at least 2.0. In cases of extenuating circumstances, students may appeal their probation to the Dean of Undergraduate Success.

Students are academically dismissed from the University if, while on academic probation, they attempt courses during a semester and both the semester gpa and the cumulative gpa are lower than 2.0. A full Summer term will be treated as a regular Fall or Spring semester for these purposes. A student will also be academically dismissed from the University for failing to comply with the terms of academic probation.

The first academic dismissal is for five months. A second academic dismissal is for twelve months. A third academic dismissal is for thirty-six months. A fourth and any subsequent dismissal is for a period of not less than thirty-six months. To be readmitted after a dismissal, students must address a letter to the Dean of Undergraduate Success presenting evidence that they are likely to succeed in an academic program. Readmission requires approval by the Dean of Undergraduate Success, who will base his decision on the evidence that the student is likely to succeed in an academic program. Students should contact the Dean’s office for full details on re-admission prior to sending their letter. In cases of extenuating circumstances, students may appeal their academic dismissal to the Dean of Undergraduate Success.

Repeat Policy

All courses taken at U. T. Permian Basin, whether passed or failed, remain a permanent part of the student’s record. If a course is repeated, the last grade earned, not necessarily the highest grade, will be the grade used to compute the cumulative grade point average (GPA) for all purposes. Repeated courses will be counted only once for credit. Repeatable courses are different from repeating a course.

A student whose hours may no longer be submitted for formula funding because it is the same or substantially similar to a course that the student previously attempted for two or more times at The University of Texas Permian Basin will be charged a higher tuition rate equal to nonresident tuition rates. (See “Three-peat ” section of the catalog)

Satisfactory Scholastic Progress

Students are considered to be making satisfactory scholastic progress when they are carrying an approved schedule of classes, are not on probation, are not failing a course, and have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in both the current semester and in their overall average to date. Students receiving financial aid should refer to “satisfactory academic progress” in the Financial Aid section of the catalog for information specific to academic progress requirements for financial aid students.

Syllabi Website

In order to assist students in locating information about courses, course syllabi and faculty curriculum vita are made available at the main page of the UTPB website www.utpb.edu. Please click on the links at the bottom of the website for information as needed.


Students have available access to purchase required or recommended textbooks through our University affiliated bookstore. A student of this institution is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from a university affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.

Textbook ISBN and retail price information is provided by the University bookstore for every required and recommended textbook and supplemental material. For information about books and other supplies visit the bookstore website at http://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10632&demoKey=d

Writing and Conversation

Every student pursuing a bachelor’s degree should be able to write the English language and to hold a conversation in English.

Undergraduate Scholastic Requirements

To earn a baccalaureate degree from The University of Texas Permian Basin a student must:

  1. Complete the total number of semester credit hours established for the chosen degree program. The minimum number is 120 semester credit hours with 48 at the upper level (more than 48 credit hours are required in some programs). The BA in Communication and BAAS requires only 42 upper level credit hours. The “upper level” refers to junior and senior level courses, or 3000 and 4000 numbered courses, respectively. The “lower level” refers to freshman and sophomore level courses, or 1000 and 2000 numbered courses, respectively.
  2. A minimum of 25% of the credits (i.e., minimum of 30 sch) used to meet degree requirements must be completed at U. T. Permian Basin of which at least 6 sch of the minimum must be upper level credits in each of the student’s major fields (more in most curricula). No credit for course work in excess of 30 hours in courses with prefixes of ACCT, FINA, MNGT and MRKT will count toward a degree except for a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree awarded by the College of Business.
  3. Complete at least 24 semester credit hours in the major (more in most curricula), at least 18 of which must be upper level; at least six credits in the major must be taken at U. T. Permian Basin. Twenty-four of the last 30 semester credit hours earned toward the degree must be in residence. For a BBA in Accountancy, Finance, Management, or Marketing, at least 30 semester credit hours in upper level business course work must be taken at U.T. Permian Basin.
  4. Have earned all transfer credits at a regionally accredited college or university. Up to 15 semester credit hours of correspondence study normally will be accepted from accredited colleges or universities if appropriate to the curriculum. Only by petition to the Dean and on written approval of such a petition by the Dean may additional credits be considered for evaluation and acceptance. The College of Business accepts no advanced business credit by correspondence or from non-accredited institutions; however, if an accredited college or university has awarded credit for such study, U. T. Permian Basin will accept those credits on the same basis as course work completed at that institution.
  5. The student must have a “C” average or better and no “F” grades in any credits required for the degree; and must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher on course work completed at U.T. Permian Basin. Grades of “D” are subject to the following restrictions:
    1. A course in the student’s major will not be counted unless the grade is “C” or higher.
    2. A course taken at UTPB in which a grade of “D” is assigned will be accepted as a non-major elective or towards general education or minor requirements only if offset with sufficient grades of “A” or “B” in respective non-major electives, Gen-Ed, or minor courses to provide a “C” average or better.
    3. Credit for transfer courses to UTPB, in which the grade is “D,” will be accepted for non-major elective credit, but will not be accepted towards General Education requirements (unless the student is core complete), towards a minor, or towards a major.
  6. Complete the University’s General Education Requirements.
  7. Complete six semester credit hours in American government (including Texas constitution) and six credit hours in American history.
  8. Complete a minor of at least 18 semester credit hours, 9 of which must be at the upper level, in one field or closely related fields (as in a “multidisciplinary” or “distributed” minor). No courses may be counted simultaneously toward the major and minor. A minor will be granted only if it is offered by U. T. Permian Basin and students may only declare a minor if their program requires it.  The following programs do not require completion of a minor and students in these majors may not declare a minor:

Bachelor of Business Administration:

  • Accountancy
  • Finance
  • Management
  • Marketing

Bachelor of Arts:

  • Humanities
  • Multidisciplinary Studies
  • Art (the all level teaching certification program only)

Bachelor of Fine Arts
Bachelor of Music
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
Bachelor of Science in Engineering (all majors and tracks)
Bachelor of Social Work
Second bachelor’s degree or concurrent second bachelor’s degree
Double majors

  1. Complete college, departmental and school requirements as appropriate.
  2. Initiate a degree check with the Registrar’s Office during the first 12 class days of the semester of expected graduation. Students are strongly encouraged to submit a preliminary degree check the semester prior to the semester they expect to graduate. Degree check forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.

Government and History Requirement for Graduation

Texas law requires that all students who receive a bachelor’s degree from a state-supported public institution must earn 6 semester credit hours in American government, including federal and Texas constitutions, and 6 semester credit hours of American history (3 semester credit hours in the history of Texas may be substituted for 3 semester credit hours of American history).

Appropriate Catalog

Students may obtain a degree according to the course requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of admission to the University (so long as the courses required for the degree are still offered by the University) or of the course requirements of a later catalog in effect during the period of enrollment. This option shall be available for a six year period dating from the time of the initial admission of the student to the University.

If a student drops out for two or more semesters and returns to U. T. Permian Basin as a former student, he or she must use the catalog in effect at the time of re-entrance, thereby beginning a new six year time limit. This regulation applies to degree requirements, but not to operating regulations and procedures.

A student who transfers to U. T. Permian Basin from a Texas public community college may select to graduate according to the degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of admission to the community college or of a catalog in effect during the period of enrollment at the community college or the catalog in effect when the students entered U. T. Permian Basin. If the student drops out of the community college for two or more long semesters, the catalog requirements in effect at the time of readmission to the community college would be the earliest catalog the student could select to follow.

Whichever catalog a student ultimately chooses applies in its entirety to all degree requirements, including those applying to the major, minor, and general education requirements, total hour and upper level requirements.

Catalog Authority

The catalog of the University is the document of authority for all students and becomes effective the first day of the fall semester of which it is published. Any academic unit may issue additional or more specific information that is consistent with approved policy. The information in the catalog supersedes that issued by any other unit if there is a conflict between the two.

Catalog Updates

The Undergraduate Catalog and the Graduate Studies Catalog are revised annually.  The University reserves the right to change the requirements given in a catalog at any time; however, most changes generally will not be effectual until the start of the next academic year.

Course Descriptions

Course descriptions in the university catalog is correct at the time of publication; students should refer to the course syllabus for additional information about a specific course. 

Catalog Approval and Availability

All curricular requirements, standards, and rules presented in the Undergraduate Catalog must be documented as having gone through the appropriate policy-making/amending and approval procedures as defined in the UT Permian Basin Handbook of Operating Procedures and the Academic Affairs Handbook.  New or amended courses, curricula, and academic policies and regulations concerning undergraduate education become effective and are incorporated into the Undergraduate Catalog upon review and approval by the respective academic departments and colleges (if applicable), the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, the Faculty Senate, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and, if required, the President, the UT System Board of Regents, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.  The Undergraduate Catalog is maintained by the Office of the Registrar which ensures that the catalog accurately represents the programs and services of the institution.

The undergraduate catalog is published annually in a digital format.  Once the new catalog is published online, the previous year catalog is archived and can be accessed via the Registrar’s page.  Archived copies of catalogs from 1999 to the most recent archived year can be accessed at http://www.utpb.edu/academics/registration/office-of-the-registrar/catalog-archive  Prior to 1999 the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs were combined into a single document.  Information found in undergraduate catalogs dating before 1999, can be obtained by contacting the Registrar’s Office registrar@utpb.edu or 432-552-2635. 


Students that are intending to graduate must apply to do so in the allowable time given at the beginning of each semester. The Office of the Registrar provides students with a graduation packet. Student graduation packets will have all necessary materials for applying to graduate for a given semester. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate an official intention to graduate with the office of the Registrar. The academic calendar provides a student with deadline and commencement dates. Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to discuss their degree plan prior to any registration period. Students must be officially enrolled at U. T. Permian Basin in the semester in which they graduate (see In-absentia section if all course work has been completed). For information on graduation please see the Schedule of Classes or seek additional information at the Registrar webpage at http://www.utpb.edu/services/academic-affairs/office-of-the-registrar/graduation-information

Graduating with Latin Honors

In order for students to be eligible for Latin Honors, students must be receiving their first bachelor’s degree, must have completed a minimum of 48 hours at UT Permian Basin and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50. This distinction is given to undergraduate students only and not intended for post graduate students. Honors will be awarded based upon the following GPA (grade point average) scale:

GPA Latin Honor
3.50-3.79 Cum Laude
3.80-3.89 Magna Cum Laude
3.90-4.00 Summa Cum Laude

Graduation Ceremonies

Commencement ceremonies are held three times during an academic year at the end of fall, spring and summer semesters. Students who have completed degree requirements for their respective degree program are encouraged to file their intent of graduation in the allotted time given during each semester. Information about deadlines for applying to graduate are published in the course schedule and on the UT Permian Basin website. http://www.utpb.edu/services/academic-affairs/office-of-the-registrar


A candidate for a degree who has completed all the courses and other requirements for graduation and who must register with the University for the purpose of having a degree conferred, must register in absentia. This is the only purpose for which a student may register in-absentia. After registration for credit during a semester or summer session, a student wishing to change to in-absentia status must have the request approved by the student’s academic Dean and processed through the add/drop procedure. All fees, less the in absentia fee and computer use fee will be refunded if the change is made during the first 12 class days of the spring or fall semester and 4th class day of the summer session. After the 12th class day or 4th class day in summer, no refunds will be made and no additional charge will be assessed for the in-absentia fee. The University ID card and original paid fee receipt must be returned before a refund can be issued. No refund is made for the cancellation of an in absentia registration. If the student requests a change from in absentia status to regular registration for courses, in-absentia fees paid will apply toward the tuition due.