Oct 15, 2019
- Read the UTPB catalog and be familiar with all requirements for the BSW degree. It is the student’s responsibility to know/fulfill all requirements.
- At least 48 sch must be taken at the upper level.
- At least 30 of those hours must be completed at UTPB.
- All Field Practicum courses must be completed at UTPB
- An overall GPA of 2.5 or higher for all classes taken at UTPB.
- A minimum grade of “C” in all courses counting towards the BSW, including general education core, social work core, and electives.
- Students who enrolled in a Texas public institution of higher education as first-time freshman in the Fall 2007 and thereafter are not permitted to drop more than six courses during their entire undergraduate career (Texas Administrative Code 4.10). This limit includes all transfer work.
General Education Requirements (42 sch)
History (U.S. History) (6 sch)
Language, Philosophy, and Culture (3 sch)
Life and Physical Sciences (8 sch)
Political Science (U.S., State of Texas and Local Government) (6 sch)
Creative Arts (3 sch)
* UNIV courses are open to students in the Honors Program only.
Social and Behavioral Science (3 sch)
Component Area Option (0 to 3 sch)
All Social Work students must demonstrate a basic use of computing through the completion of PSYC 3301 or SOCI 3317 .
Required for Social Work Major (3 sch)
The BSW degree requires a minimum of 120 sch, with at least 48 upper level credits (3000/4000) and DOES NOT REQUIRE A MINOR. The program consists of: (1) Pre-Social Work major; and (2) the Social Work major.
Stage 1: Pre-Social Work Stage
- Attain a minimum 2.5 overall GPA for all classes taken at UTPB, all Social Work (SOWK) courses, and all classes for the degree.
- Complete SOWK 2361 with a C or higher, and either SOWK 2320 , SOWK 3324 , or SOWK 3340 with a C or higher.
- Attain a C or higher in all General Education courses.
- Have 9 or less hours of the general education 42 sch to complete.
- Have completed at least 45 credit hours.
Stage 2: The Social Work Major
Admission to The Social Work major requires:
- Completion of the Pre-Social Work stage requirements.
- Submission of the formal application for admission.
Social Work Core (51 sch)
Electives (25 sch)
Choose a minimum of 25 elective credits, or the number required to complete a total of 120 credit hours. The following are suggested as possible choices.
The program requires 12 credit hours (480 clock hours) of field practice experience. This will be satisfied by two SOWK Field Practicum placements taken in the senior year, SOWK 4480 /SOWK 4280 and SOWK 4481 /SOWK 4281 . Enrolled students will work in a social service delivery agency under the supervision of a qualified social worker. Social Work faculty will provide faculty liaison services to monitor the student’s progress within the field placement. Students who have completed the general education core courses and the majority of the social work core courses should apply for acceptance into the field placement in the long semester prior to the semester they anticipate entering field. Application for field placement is made with the Director of Field Education.