Nov 30, 2020
The total minimum credits required for a B.A. in Sociology is 120.
- It is the student’s responsibility to read the catalog and be familiar with and fulfill all the requirements for the BA degree.
- Complete at least 120 sch for the BA degree.
- At least 30 sch must be completed at U.T.P.B.
- At least 24 of the last 30 must be taken at U.T.P.B.
- At least 48 sch must be taken at the upper level.
- Complete at least 18 sch in a minor of which 9-12 sch must be upper level. Refer to the catalog for specific requirements.
- Obtain at least a C grade in ALL MAJOR courses. Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or C in all courses applicable toward the BA degree.
- Students who enrolled in a Texas public institution of higher education as first-time freshman in the Fall 2007 and thereafter are not permitted to drop more than six courses during their entire undergraduate career (Texas Administrative Code 4.10). This limit includes all transfer work taken at a Texas institution of higher education.
During the semester in which a student intends to graduate, a degree check & the appropriate forms must be submitted to the Academic Advisor. Check class schedule for dates.
General Education Requirements (42 sch)
History (U.S. History) (6 sch)
Language, Philosophy, and Culture (3 sch)
Life and Physical Sciences (6 sch)
Political Science (U.S., State of Texas and Local Government) (6 sch)
Social and Behavioral Science (3 sch)
Component Area Option (2-3 sch)
All Sociology majors must demonstrate a basic use of computing through the completion of COSC 1335 , or other computer science course, which requires the actual use of computers, before taking the required course sequence SOCI 3317 , SOCI 4403 and SOCI 4399 .
Major Requirements (34 sch)
Sociology majors are required & expected to complete 34 sch in Sociology of which 16 sch must include the following list of required 5 core courses. The remaining 6 courses must be selected from the list below that. Students must also complete COSC 1335
Additional Courses (18 sch)
(6 courses) must be completed from the following list:
In general, the minor is 18 sch with 12 sch at the upper level. Please talk to your advisor for specific minor requirements.